Revitalize your home with the classic touch of these exceptionally High Quality Kantha Quilts and Vintage kantha Throws by Jaipur Handloom. There is a wide range of quality, craftsmanship, and employment standards that produce High Quality Kantha products.
How can you know which is the best?
Is the value worth the cost?
Here are some guidelines to keep in mind as you shop for kantha:
- Thickness : Each layer of sari cloth is very thin (imagine a soft muslin for a baby swaddle), so if there are only 2 layers, the blanket will be very light. Which would be fine as throw however need atleast 3 layers for a thicker quilt.
- Our kantha quilts are made with 2-3 layers of sari cloth. The final product is still thin, not bulky, but definitely as "hefty" as kantha. They are light, but provide a good warmth, as well.
- Stitching : How dense do you expect the running stitches to be? A blanket with very tight, close stitching will have a more stiff, substantial feel than stitching that is farther apart.
- The standard stitches on our kantha run approximately 2 cm apart
- Edge Stitching : This is where a more inexpensively produced, lower quality kantha will reveal itself. A well-made kantha should have a straight edge, with a kantha stitch right up to the edge, preventing any fraying or interior cloth coming out.
- Our kantha are stitched with precision all around!
- Color / Fading : Keep in mind that if a kantha quilt features faded or very pastel colors, it is more likely that the fabric has been more frequently washed, or is old, however kantha stitches provides them more strength and solidity . Women in Bangladesh (who are originally wearing these saris) love color & vibrance, so these are what you will (should) mostly find with authentic kantha blankets.
- Cost : Of course, we are all cost-conscious. But, there is a large amount of labor involved in producing even a single kantha throw. Our kantha throws take, on average, 96 hours to handcraft. Our products are fairly priced sustaining life of our artisans and provides their livinghood. We adhere to Fair Trade practices while pricing our kantha quilts.
- Our kantha blankets are all made in a generous, safe, whole-hearted business by vulnerable & at-risk women who can work with dignity.
We stand by our products and are confident that you won't find a kantha that is as unique, versatile, rich in story, or as well-constructed as our hand-stitched kantha quilts.
At Jaipur Handloom, we provide heavy 3 layered reversible Kantha throw completely handmade by artisans. These are quality products made from old saris and the most unique thing is all of these have different patterns and colors. No two Kantha throw would be same. The fabric used is cotton and kantha embroidery is done all over it to give it a exquisite look. The edges are all clean and these are ready to use. All of our Kantha Blankets are hand washed and passed through quality check before shipping out.
We are passionate about empowering Indian women through sustainable, respectable work, fair income and benefits, and education and training. Our goal is to not just have vintage saris to be converted into one-of-a-kind products; we want these one-of-a-kind women's thoughts, self-worth, and lives to be nourished as well.
Through our partnerships with local enterprises, Jaipur Handloom offers these women from underprivileged backgrounds employment and empowerment - with your help. By ordering a product, you are playing a vital role in having these women's lives and future to be flourished.Liquid error: Could not find asset snippets/relatedblogs.liquid